01-25-09: Burns Movie News for Gerard!

On this day, the 250th anniversary of the birth of Robert Burns, Gerard Butler fans may have even more reason to celebrate. The Times Online reports that the Vadim Jean helmed project ‘Burns’, a long time passion project for Gerard, will begin filming on location in Edinburgh and Burns’ native Ayrshire sometime this year.

An excerpt from the article is below:

Most of the budget, which includes investment from Scottish Screen, is already in place. The remainder will be raised by signing up 250 subscribers to the project.

Each will commit a sum to the project in the same way that investors backed the publication in 1786 of the famous Kilmarnock Edition of Burns poetry. The success of the collection convinced Burns to stay in Scotland rather than emigrate to Jamaica, as he had planned.

Alex Salmond, the first minister, will host a dinner at Edinburgh Castle in May to help raise funds.

Read more from The Times Online…

The official website for the film has also been updated in the press area.  Sign up for email updates with them to follow their progress!!

We want to hear from YOU! Are you exicited to think that this project may finally get off the ground this year?  Leave us a comment!

86 comments on “01-25-09: Burns Movie News for Gerard!

1. MissDebbieBlue on said:

I’m thrilled that a dream of Gerry’s will come true in the making of this movie. No one could play this part better than an actual Scot. With Gerry’s dedication and ability to take on and become his character – no doubt his performance will be Oscar winning. Best wishes to him. I hope everything goes smoothly and he enjoys the making of this film.

2. Lily Mackay on said:

I’m torn between screaming, jumping for joy, and generally making a spectacle of myself, and keying in a thoughtful, heartfelt “congratulations and good luck” to Gerry. What the heck, why not do both? [Picture a woman hollering “YES!”, pumping her fist in the air, doing cartwheels, yelling “wo-wo-wo-wo-wo-wo-wo-wo-!”…and being terribly glad there’s on-one home to see her ;).]

Gerry, I know this project has been close to your heart for years. I hope the quality of the script and the production values are all you could hope for, and I hope this will finally get you your long-awaited–and long-overdue IMHO–Oscar.

(And wonderful that your natural “accent” will be right in character!)

3. Melimel on said:

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!

4. Ruth Ventura on said:

OMG! I had just about given up hope for this project that is so dear to Gerry’s heart. Now I see that it is going to be filmed this year. Happy doesn’t come close to how I feel about Burns. I can’t wait. I am thrilled that he finally gets to do this movie. I think we need to all make a pact that we will go to this film during it’s opening weekend, bring everyone we can to see it and make it a money maker. What do you say? We can do it. I’m in!

5. Yes it is about time. I keep reading about it and expecting something to happen and now that it seems it is, I hope it is not another long wait.

6. Thank you Lord! This project is finally coming to fruition. We have been waiting years for this. I hope Gerard Butler will play Burns, no one else should. He has the heart and soul for this movie.

7. Jacqlyn Custer on said:

I am so excited that this project was not abandoned by everyone other than Gerry, whose passion it has been for such a long time. The story of Robert Burns deserves to be told and I think that more than just the Scottish people are looking forward to the movie.

Again, I can’t wait! I know Gerry will do a fantastic job in all capacities he chooses to take on for this film; as he is fantastic in all that he does.

8. Marshadee on said:

This is FANTASTIC news, we’ve all been waiting a long time for this to happen.
    It will be a perfect movie for Gerry and it may well result in the Oscar he longs
    to win, and so richly deserves. GO GERRY. MarshaDee. Melbourne. Australia.

9. Linda Young on said:

I am so excited that this project is finally going to happen. I am so happy for Gerry also. And most of all, I am so happy that this is going to happen in 2009, because I am finally going to Scotland at the end of the summer to see Gerry’s homeland for real. We will be in Edinbourough on August 27 th for the Tattoo. We will be in Scotland for two weeks. Don’t know if they will be through filming by then, but at least I will be able to have seen Glagow, and Edinbourough, and lots of the country in between. I completely flipped over Gerry when I discovered him in the Phantom movie, and haven’t gotten over him since. Gerry has been working so hard to get that elusive “Oscar”. 2010 has to be his year, especially when the “Burns” movie is made.

10. Pamela RG on said:

I’m Very excited about this movie for many reasons but it will also have the additional cou of Enriching the Scottish Cultural Heritage, which just in itself is very significant! Can Fans donate money for this project as well??

PS.. There is a very romantic, artistic Collage put to music with Gerard Butler on You Tube called- Turn me on- Gerry Fans might want to check out….
    Also a Gerry Figure on EBay from his movie Timeline..^^.

11. Sadie Montgomery on said:

I was excited when I first heard of the project and disappointed when it got shelved. I am thrilled by the prospect that Gerry will be playing Burns. I can’t wait to see it and hope that it’s widely released.

Sadie

12. Monica on said:

This news has made my day!! I read a biography on Robert Burns before I jouneyed over to Scotland. I soo enjoyed the BURNS TOUR while there and all I can say is ” IT’S ABOUT TIME!!! I hope Gerry and all concerned can finally get this project off the ground. There is a good story here and with the intensity and passion Gerry brings to his performances, I cannot see anyone else in this role but him. I am already imagining the scenes and sets in my head. I canna wait!!! Congrats Gerry!!!

13. Teri S on said:

Let’s reprise Beyonce’s song AT LAST! one more time. What an appropriate day to hear this terrific news! I must say things are looking up in 2009 already!

14. Julianna on said:

Oh my gosh, well, I certainly hope it all comes true. I would love to see a well-rounded movie about Robert Burns. It’s a very exciting idea! I’m very happy for Gerry as he’s talked of this project many times.

15. barb campbell on said:

I am a fan so any thing GB does I buy so I can watch over and over. Cant hardly wait for Burns

16. soupy from Jersey on said:

Excited is not thr word, thrilled. Bravo! There will be those all over the world waiting for this wonderful entertainment event.

17. Ellissa Lippert on said:

I am so pleased that Burn’s is finally going to be filmed and with Gerard Butler as Burn’s.He is a fine actor,and I have seen almost everything he has ever done!

18. I am SO thrilled that Burns is on the horizon. Let it be soon.

You go, Gerry!

Lynne

19. Suzanne Trexler on said:

I’ve been looking forward to this film it seems like forever. Gerry is perfect for this role and he’s seems to be passionate about it. Let’s hope this gets world wide release. I know all of Gerry’s fans have been looking forward to it and it’s good to hear some positive news on Burns. I know I’ll be first in line to buy my ticket!

20. Mona Lisa on said:

Oh happy day – what good news for all of us Butler fans. Can’t think of a better person to play the role of Burns. Gerard will do it justice, as he does with every role he has ever played. Am so looking forward to seeing this movie, as I have seen all of his other movies from “the beginning” and never been disappointed.

21. Jeanne Ackerer on said:

Yeah!!!!!!
    About time. I think this movie will be great for Gerry. He’s a versatile actor anyways and this part should show something that his fans already know. he has a greater range than most actors. do.

22. jessie Ramirez on said:

Wonderful I am so happy this movie will finally be made not only because I love period movies but because I know it is close to Gerry’s heart. Great news I can hardly wait to see it. I plan to read all I can about Burns. Good luck to everyone involved in the making of this movie..

23. Lady Night Hawke on said:

All I can say is “freak’in awesome”!!

I hope it goes through this time, as I know if has been a special love for Gerry and something we thought would never see the light of day after the financial debacle!

Woot! Another Gerry movie!!!

Lady Night Hawke

24. Marlene Urso on said:

This is absolutely wonderful news and to have it released today makes it even better. I know how much the project means to Gerry. I am glad to see this dream of him playing Burns is going to happen and being back home might be fun for him for a while. I can’t wait to see the film. There’s no place more beautiful in the world than Scotland.

25. !!!!!! It is more tremendous!!!! Is more tremendous!!!!! Really it is the truth!!! That that Gerry wanted, so long waited !!!! I do not know what script, but I hope that it will be not ordinary event!!! Congratulations ! Congratulations ! Congratulations Gerry !!!!

26. Nancy Price on said:

I have waited for this. I think it will be wonderful. It will showcase Gerard’s talant to the fullest.

27. I feel this will be another Great Role for Gerry…I sure hope he gets it. Like to know who makes final decision??? I guess who reads wellll (Audition) Eh!!!!
    Been looking forward to this for five years now

28. Jovial Mom on said:

I have been looking forward to seeing this movie for such a long time, it seems. To see that the film will finally be made is very exciting for me. There isn’t a more perfect actor to play Robert Burns than our own Gerry Butler. Thanks very much for the updates!

Gretchen

29. Teresa on said:

Gerry is perfect for this role. I did some research on Burns. He is a very interesting and gifted person. I can’t wait for this to come out.

30. Yay!! I’m happy to hear that. I was afraid the project had died! We visited Ayrshire a few years ago while on a tour of Scotland and Ireland. The area is absolutely beautiful! I told our tour guide and bus driver about the planned movie version. They both assumed Ewan McGregor would be portraying Robert Burns, and they had never heard of Gerry Butler! (OK, in their defense, they were Irish, but still…).
    As a native Austrian, I wasn’t familiar with Burns’ poems, but my daughters and I bought a book while we were over there and read it on the trip. Although the language was a bit of a challenge, we got a huge kick out of the poems. Mr. Burns had a great sense of humor! Can’t wait to see Gerry in that role, he ought to be perfect for it!

31. Alison on said:

I am absolutely thrilled to hear this news..Gerry has waited and worked for so long to see this finally come to fruition. My excitement has always been based on the anticipation of Gerry as Burns.

32. asunta on said:

This is fabulous news! I know Gerry has wanted to do this for years and to see his dream come true is such a joy for his fans.

This is a movie I’ve been waiting to see him do with great anticipation. Thank you soo much.

33. Finally!! This has been a long time coming….I was one of Gerard’s 200 fans who traveled to Scotland in January 2006 in anticipation for the opening of the movie “Burns” but plans to make the movie were shelved until now, hopefully. I will keep my fingers crossed they get the funding. I have a feeling this movie will get Gerard an Oscar nod.

34. Scottie3 on said:

I am very excited and support the production of this film. Gerry would be so perfect for this project and he could have a geat role where he could use his beautiful natural accent!

35. Daisybie on said:

I’m over the moon with joy for Gerry!
    Best Wishes
    Debbie!

36. This is very exciting news. Because it was officially announced at the Burns dinner by an official of Scotland that Gerard Butler will star, and then reported by the Times, I think it’s pretty official. The poll must be old and now disabled. They even read comments from GB on the project.
    I loved hearing Gerry’s name pronounced the Scottish way on the video.

37. Suzanne on said:

Oh happy day !

38. Judy Ranieri on said:

This is great great news! I am very happy for Gerry and everyone involved in the production of Burns, that their goal may be realized.

I wish that Gerry’s fans were able to raise funds, to make a collective contribution, becoming one of the mentioned “250 subscribers.”

This movie must happen in the 250th anniversary of Robert Burns!

39. This is the most awesome news ever! Gerry’s heart project will be getting underway. I’m overjoyed with this news! All of us have been waiting so long to hear this!!

40. moodybluz1112 on said:

This is great news to hear!
    There seems to be a lot of support behind this film.
    It will be wonderful to see this labor of love come to fruition.

41. Betsy Usher on said:

As a former teacher of English, I taught popetry of Burns as part of my British literature course. I am so excited that his biography will be coming to the big screen. But I am VERY excited and pleased that our Mr. Butler will be able to take on this project! Vadim Jean and James Cosmo were aligned with Gerard in “One More Kiss”, and so the three will be together again. Jean said on the special extras on “OMK” (the British version) that Gerard in a tux looked just like James Bond, and Cosmo, a consummate actor from “Braveheart”, will make this film sing of Scotland.

However, I am just so happy that our Gerard will get to play this Scottish icon! Finally!!!! He must be so elated!

Will he be filming this after LAC and the bounty hunter film with J.A.? Or before?

When I visited Scotland twice before, I felt the land and the people had an aura of mystery and myth…now Gerard can bring that as well as the sexy , talented Burns to all moviegoers. I can hardly wait! Go, Gerard!

42. Fantastic news! I was only thinking about the Burns project earlier this week in anticipation of a Burns Night do we are attending. I switched on the computer this morning thinking ‘wouldnt it be brilliant if there were some positive news re the Burns film’ and feel like I’ve been given a belated Christmas present! Please please please make this happen with GB on board and with the Alan Sharp script!

43. Jackie on said:

Gerard Butler is THE man to play Rabbie Burns. I have been waiting for this to happen for so long. In the year of Scotland’s Homecoming too, this is going to be phenomenal and yes, I do smell an Oscar!! This film will be very successful in my opinion.

And I LOVE James Cosmo too, great to see he is involved.

44. Camille on said:

this has been a dream of Gerry for quite a while.
    Problem is if you go to the” Burns” site, it isn’t written in stone yet that he will play “Burns” as they are asking fans whom they want in the role!
    And the choice is not working so you can’t vote!

45. I think that this is great news. Its about time this project gets filmed and I am thrilled that Gerry will be playing the role of Robbie Burns. I for one cannot wait to see it. Cheers, Cathy

46. Rachel Frantz on said:

Congratulations Gerard on finally being able to begin work on the film “Burns”. I understand that you have been working for many years to raise the money to start this project. I am happy for you that you seemed to have accomplished that goal. That must be very exciting for you. I look forward to seeing the finished product. Sincerely, Rachel Frantz

47. Jane Beins on said:

I am very excited, happy, (surprised), if this goes ahead with Gerry as Burns. I wish them all the luck and good fortune possible to make it happen.

But why does the “official film website” have a poll for possible actors to play Burns??? Is Gerry a sure thing or not?

I’m an old lit major with a longtime affection and respect for Burns but the only film I care to see will star Gerard Butler. I hope this isn’t just a tease!

Jane

• The poll on the official website has been there for a few years. It’s old and obvious they are still working on bring the site back up to date. This is why we mentioned that only the press section had been updated. :D

48. LadyMacbeth75 on said:

I’m very excited to read this! What a great time to announce it as well!

In my opinion, Gerry is perfect for this role and I’m so glad they’re pressing onward with the project. Bring on the ruffled shirts and thick accent!

Cheers,
    Sue

49. Betty Combs on said:

I am beyond thrilled to hear that this film will finally be made–and star my favorite actor, Gerard Butler! This is perfect casting for Burns, and will mean the world to all Burns/Butler fans. I will be anxiously awaiting any and all reports as to the progress of the project.

Thank you.

Betty Combs

50. Lilyrose on said:

WOW..I’m excited about this project and Gerry will be perfect for this role!! It’s a long time coming!! and it’s great to see it finally making a head way…especially because it was this NIGHT in 2006..that I celebrated a Burns Night in Scotland with many of my friends from GB.net!! I will never forget it and the haggis was great!!

I hope to see this flim because Scotland is close to my heart and Robert Burns the poet and writer would be a great story to bring onto the screen.