10-21-09: Gerard Butler and Ralph Fiennes?

col_posterIn an interview with WJZ 13 Baltimore, Gerard Butler announces his intent to star alongside Ralph Fiennes in the film adaptation of Shakespeare’s Coriolanus.  Watch the interview here.

As some fans may recall, Coriolanus was Gerard’s first London stage job at the Mermaid Theater in May 1996.

This ICON Entertainment project is Ralph Fiennes’ directorial debut and is also slated to star William Hurt, Vanessa Redgrave and Jessica Chastai.  Tentative plans are to begin filming in Serbia in 2010.  Visit the links below for more information.

Project Information | Project News | ICON Website

Leave us a comment and tell us what you think!!

26 comments on “10-21-09: Gerard Butler and Ralph Fiennes?

1. Cristina on said:

Gerry at last you let the comedies at your back. Yours are dramas, passion, love, action, deep & unforgetables movies where you show your excellent acting abilities. Shakespeare is very good for you. Congratulations.

2. Cynthia on said:

Whatever makes us happy!!! Gerry just keeps getting better and better. Congratulations on all you’ve accomplished. I look forward to it all. And I thank you, so much!!

3. this is wonderful news and I hope it gets the go ahead next year as planned. What a terrific cast and Gerry mentioned that he will be playing the Volscian leader Tullus Autelius ( not sure of the spelling!)
    The play is apparently in a modern day setting so I dont think we will see him in historic costume, and the illustration showing Ralph Fiennes has him holding an autumatic weapon.
    Nevertheless it is a powerful story and I am looking forward very much to seeing the sparks fly between these two awesome actors!

Good choice,Gerry,

Mirin from Scotland

4. Milena on said:

I am looking forward to this interesting project.
    Gerry is a great actor,he is so good in each of his movies,but I thing he need to do some classic drama, let everybody see his real talent.
    And how about Burns? It is pretty quiet about it.
    That was very promissing project.What is happening?
    Is Gerry still involved in it?
    Gerry,please,do it!
    You are my Scotish hero,so let play about another one.
    Love you, anyway.
    Good luck.
    Milena

5. SHORT HAIR GIRL FROM NY on said:

IT SEEMS TO BE A GREAT PROJECT. GERRY, WILL YOU TAKE ME WITH YOU WHEN YOU GO TO SERBIA?

6. Oh, my…!!!
    It is perfect that Gerry all time in work. He should play as much as possible. He is the actor at heart. Without roles he will wither.
    What can I tell? Good luck to my Gerard Butler!!!

7. Jovial Mom on said:

Shakespeare! Wow! Way to go, Gerry! I can’t wait to see this one. Such a great cast, too! I like the “full circle” idea as you mentioned in the recent interview, especially since most of us never got to see you on stage. Wishing you all the best on this one, as usual.

Gretchen

8. Bianca Savi on said:

Butler and Fiennes: my favorites, best, impossible. They are all good!

9. Marlene Urso on said:

I especially love the roles that Gerry is so passionate about because he is happy doing something that is special to him. I cannot wait to see how this one turns out. Working with Ralph Finnes is great – another actor with gorgeous, expressive eyes. Bless Gerry in this role!

10. Yvonne Georgiou on said:

This is the best news I’ve heard about Gerry’s career! I’m so excited that he’s going to be starring as Aufidius because this is where his acting skills will shine the most. He must be feeling so proud of himself to have come full circle and got this role again with such an amazing cast.

I studied in English Literature and love all the Shakespeare plays, especially the tragedies, so thrilled that I’m going to get to see Gerry star in one of these great works. Boy what a journey you’ve had Gerry. Well done, you’re a shining example of how hard work, sheer determination and passion can make you achieve whatever you want in life.

Gerry “the gods assist you…and keep your honours safe!”

Y.xx

11. I hope this project becomes a reality. I would love to see Gerry work with Ralph Fiennes, William Hurt and Vanessa Redgrave. What a cast. I hope that Gerry plays Tullus, he would be great.

Lynne

12. Does anyone know what role Gerry played in Coriolanus in 1996?

13. Rachel Frantz on said:

This is very exciting! Gerard Butler, Ralph Fiennes, William Hurt and the amazing and inimitable Vanessa Redgrave in the same movie, this is gonna be good!

The end of one circle is the beginning of the next. :) Congratulations and continued success for the future! :D

Sincerely,
    Rachel Frantz

14. Wow, that sounds amazing! Great cast, and I know Gerry will nail his part – he always does! :-)

15. Julia Bailey on said:

Yea!!! As much as I love him in the romantic comedies, I was sooo happy to see him do Law Abiding Citizen and I would absolutely LOVE to see him in a dramatic Shakespeare production!

16. Judy (Emily Bronte) on said:

This is wonderful, exciting news! Gerry starring with one of my other most favorite actors! I am truly very happy for Gerard, and this excellent opportunity to display his acting talent. This movie will be awesome! I will always remember seeing Fiennes live on Broadway, in “The Faith Healer.” Powerful. Coriolanus is sure to be a great movie, with Fiennes, Hurt, Redgrave, and of course…….Gerard Butler! To be honest, I am also looking forward to the sight of Gerry in Roman soldier garb……sigh! He will give this movie that extra “zip”!!!

17. sue grint on said:

this is really weird, to think that this is where the whole gerry thing started, but on stage in 96, and now he is about to hopefully make a film of that very play. isnt life eerie. i note that they say early 2010, does this mean that poor old burns is back on the backburner again, excuse the. pun. also i was hoping for capone calling as well, but im not sure if that is still in the running, as they mentioned a while ago that it needs to be filmed in the winter because of the valentine massacre in february. oh well, hes got a long film life ahead of him so maybe in the future these films might come off.

18. Law Abiding Cop from Russia on said:

Shakespeare and Serbia? It`s interesting! I`m almost sure, that in this film there will be Serbian and Russian gangsters. We so have got tired to be bad Russians. But if Gerry will take a role in the film – let it be :) .

Now seriously. Gerard Butler is very good actor. He is such different, such real. We shall be happy to see it in this interesting project.

Besides, shootings of film are planned in the Europe, and perhaps Gerry can go to Scotland and have a rest a little.

19. Betty Beaver on said:

YES!! YES!! I, too, have been wanting to see him do this type of project. He is a terrific actor. So very talented. I agree…the role of Aufidius…perfect for Gerard. With much love and admiration, Gerry, congratulations. There are so many fans out here like me …rooting for you…Love you

Betty

20. Gerry is more than up to this he is a great actor. I am really glad to see this move. Well done Gerry. Enjoy.

Joan (HUG) xx

21. gillianfey on said:

The most exciting news since I’ve been visiting GBNet.

22. Julianna on said:

Wow, I can go for that. I love Shakespeare. Gerry along side William Hurt directed by Falph Fiennes. That is fantastic! :)

23. Bonnie Anne (Swansong) on said:

Very excited to hear more about this! I certainly hope the project gets off the ground, and what a great compliment to Gerry’s acting abilities to star with such a cast! Swannie

24. Heather LY from Toronto on said:

Wow!! I can’t wait to see it. It looks like a stellar cast, nothing could be more fitting for a stellar actor- What ever the role, Gerry will be great.

25. CeliaB on said:

YES!! This is the type of project I’ve been waiting for him to do! I hope he’s cast as Aufidius. That would make this perfect. CONGRATS GERRY!