Keira Knightley! Ricky Gervais! Gerard Butler! Toronto International Film Festival rolls out a ton more movies
Category: RockNRolla News | Posted by: admin
Article Date: July 10, 2008 | Publication: National Post | Author: Mark Medley
Publication/Article Link:National Post
Prepare yourself: there is less than two months before the start of the 2008 Toronto International Film Festival, and as the countdown begins so does the hype.
To whet your appetite, the festival announced a bunch of new movies on Thursday. They include:
• A Gala Presentation of Secret Life of Bees (based on the smash hit novel) which follows a troubled teenage girl (played by Dakota Fanning) as she "finds solace in (the) mesmerizing world of beekeeping." Also stars Paul Bettany, Alicia Keys, Jennifer Hudson and Queen Latifah.
• A Gala Presentation of The Duchess, starring Keira Knightley and Ralph Fiennes, about the Duchess of Devonshire, Georgiana Spencer.
• The world premiere of Ghost Town, starring Ricky Gervais as a man who can see ghosts. As long as it's not Ghost Dad...
• The highly anticipated world premiere of Larry Charles and Bill Maher's scathing documentary Religulous. Picketing at the premiere is not out of the question.
• The North American premiere of art house fave Wong Kar-wai's latest, Ashes of Time Redux.
• Director Guy Ritchie's comeback vehicle, RocknRolla, which fans hope will be more Snatch and less Swept Away. It stars Gerard Butler, Tom Wilkinson, and Jeremy Piven.
• In the Masters program, look for films from Swedish filmmaker Jan Troell (Everlasting Moments) and Kiyoshi Kurosawa, whose film Tokyo Sonata -- which won the Un Certain Regard Jury Prize at this year's Cannes -- will have its North American premiere.
• The Contemporary World Cinema program will offer films from Denmark, Greece, Turkey, Germany, Ethiopia, Iceland, China, and other countries around the world.
[Photo by Peter Redman/National Post]